Every once in a while I come across a book that sounds like a lot of fun but the size makes me question my willingness to get involved in reading it. Such a book was Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell which I got in a book exchange at my book club. The edition I have also has tiny writing – yet another minus, but in spite of that, the premise sounded too good to pass by: the action happens in the 1800s and there are magicians involved. Also, Vishy, a friend from the blogosphere, came up with the idea of a read-along and the odds shifted significantly in favor of reading this book. After all, it’s always easier and a lot more fun when other people come along for the adventure. If you’d like to be one of these people, grab a copy of the book and come join us.
Here are the rules:
1. The read-along starts on 11th January (this coming Saturday)
2. The book is divided into three volumes, so the read-along will take place across three weeks:
• Volume I: Mr Norrell (261 pages) – review to be posted on 18th January
• Volume II: Jonathan Strange (368 pages) – review to be posted on 25th January
• Volume III: John Uskglass (369 pages) – review to be posted on 1st of February
3. If you’d like to participate, write in the comments (here or on Vishy’s blog, or both if you like) and link back to your blog. This way I can add your review to the weekly post. You can also join at any time during the read-along.
The first chapter can be read online HERE